Sunday, November 27, 2011

Vacation Reading

I'll probably write up the long story version later, but for now I'll just outline it - after Plan A for Thanksgiving went out the window, we settled on Plan B and were about to lay in supplies when we wound up going to Plan C, then ditched that and wound up in Moab instead (Plan D). Since I'm saving up my allowance for a side project, I only bought one book for the trip (Sandman Slim) after previewing several possibilities, and hit the library to fill in a proper holiday reading basket:

  • Jailbait Zombie, Mario Acevedo
  • The Blight Way, Patrick McManus
  • Just After Sunset, Stephen King
  • Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, Patricia Briggs
  • Welcome to the Jungle, Jim Butcher
  • Dreamsongs, Volume 1, George R.R. Martin
  • Characters, Emotion, & Viewpoint, Nancy Kress
  • Copy Editing, A Practical Guide, Karen Judd
  • The Writer's Path: A Guidebook for Your Creative Journey, Todd Walton & Mindy Toomay
  • The Everything Guide to Writing a Novel, Joyce & Jim Levene
And because no trip is complete without buying a book while on holiday, I acquired the Pantheon Fairy Tale & Folklore Library volume American Indian Myths and Legends, Richard Erdoes and Alfonso Ortiz.

Didn't actually finish all of them - I'm one story away from the end of the George R.R. Martin volume, and most of the craft books will require actual study rather than the somewhat cursory reading I gave Characters, Emotion and Viewpoint (though that was enough for me to decide I'll need to own a copy, possibly of the entire Write Great Fiction series, and probably subscribe to Writers' Digest sometime in the near future).

No comments:

Post a Comment